The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) on Wednesday approved the self-use Rapid Antigen Test for Covid-19 developed by Mylab Discovery Solutions. The test, named as CoviSelf is developed in India.
As per the ICMR guidelines, the self-use test can be used by individuals with Covid symptoms and immediate contacts of confirmed cases. An official statement issued today mentioned that the test users will not need sample collection by a healthcare professional.
ICMR advised the people against the indiscriminate use of the kits and added that all symptomatic individuals who test negative by RAT (Rapid Antigen Test) should get themselves immediately tested by RT-PCR.
Each kit has all testing materials (nasal swab, pre-filled extraction tube, and one test card), instructions to use (IFU) manual, and a biohazard bag to safely dispose of it after testing. Video links for the user’s convenience are provided by the ICMR. Here are few instructions on how to use the test:
• The users will have to at first download the ‘mylab’ app on their mobile phones and fill in the credentials.
• The next step is to insert the nasal swab, without touching its head, inside both the nostrils up to 2-3 centimeters. The nasal swab is to reduce the discomfort, unlike the deep nasopharyngeal swab. Then, roll the swab five times inside each nostril.
• Dip the swab in the tube and pinch the tube at the bottom. Now, swirl the nasal swab 10 times to make sure that the swab is immersed well in the tube.
• Break the swab from the breakpoint. Now, cover the tube and add two drops to the test kit by pressing. CoviSelf will provide results within 15 minutes and it will be available in the mylab app. Any result after 20 minutes is considered invalid.
• Those who test positive do not require additional testing while the people who test negative and continue to experience COVID-like symptoms may opt for RT-PCR testing or contact their healthcare provider.
The test is priced at Rs 250 and the shipping will start out within a few days. The ICMR in its guidelines has mentioned that the data on the mobile app is centrally connected to a secure server and that there is no threat to patient confidentiality.
Hasmukh Rawal, Managing Director of Mylab Discovery Solutions said that Covid-19 is the biggest crisis India has ever faced. CoviSelf will help in saving lives and millions of kits for India will be available at fraction of the cost of such kits in the US.
Director of Mylab Discovery Solutions, Sujit Jain stated that this easy-to-use test combined with Mylab’s AI-powered mobile app helps the user to know his/her positive status, submit the results to ICMR directly for better traceability and get the guidelines in either case of the result.
This easy-to-use test combines with Myab’s AI-powered mobile app so that a user can know his/her positive status, submit the result to ICMR directly for traceability, and know what to do next in either case of result. He assured that this small step will work as a big leap in mitigating the second and subsequent waves.