An act of negligence that might have led to a horrific accident took place in Maharashtra where 12 children were given sanitizer drops instead of polio drops.
The shocking case took place in Yavatmal district at Ghatanji Primary Health Centre on Sunday during a pulse polio drive.
During the polio immunization drive over 2,000 children, between the ages of 1 to 5, gathered with their parents under the national immunization drive program.
After the sanitizer drops were given to the children mountain of complaints regarding nausea, vomiting and cramps were witnessed.
Children from Kapsi Kopri village in Ghatanji tehsil of Yavatmal district started showing symptoms of uneasiness after the drops were given.
The complaints resulted in severe panicking among parents and various health officials.
The dean of VNGMCH, Dr. Milind Kamble, mentioned that the children were stable and improving but they are kept under constant observation.
They will soon be discharged on Tuesday depending on the condition.
Although the possibility of oral intake of hand sanitizing liquid wasn’t fatal, but it could have created severe health complications among children because of the presence of 70% alcohol.
On Sunday night Yavatmal collector, M Devendra Singh, visited the hospital inquiring about children’s condition, and later Zilla Parishad CEO, Shri Krishna Panchal was ordered by M Devendra Singh for a Maharashtra village visit for an investigation of the incident.
A health worker (Anganwadi Sevika), an Asha volunteer, and at least one doctor are under monitoring for the failure and Shri Krishna Panchal mentioned that the information regarding the incident was given to the medical authority at the very last moment.
Suspicion of a “deliberate sabotage” case has been considered by Yavatmal farmer leaders and Kishor Tiwari, Vasantao Naik Sheti Swavalamban Mission President.
The people responsible for such a deliberate attempt of playing with the lives of small children must be suspended immediately for or the precipitous negligence, according to BJP Leaders.
Among the 12 kids sons of Purushottam Meshram, Ansh and Harsh were also given the drops.
Initially, the health workers acted casually about the incident. The health workers called the Purushottam family after the incident and administered the drops but never revealed a reason behind the sanitizer drops.
Purushotam mentioned that the health workers realized their mistake after the children started vomiting.
Initially, 4 children among the 12 others started showing symptoms like dizziness and vomiting and the on-duty officials admitted them to a public health care center.
After pressure by Yuvraj Marape, the Sarpanch, and other villagers, the process to shift children to Yavatmal started and finally, all the children were shifted to GMCH after Sunday midnight.